A Disappearing Year

The first half of this year has been really busy for me. I have been trying to start a small business whilst at the same time trying to clear out and sell my fathers house to ensure he has the finances for the home he is in. And sort out a party to celebrate my 50th.

I had some good news in April, my consultant felt that, as my results have been so positive, I could try coming off the pills that I take for my CML (Chronic Myloid Leukaemia), there has been some evidence that a percentage of people who stop taking the pills have maintained a CML free blood test.
As with all things CML there isn't a lot of evidence and everything is a trial as there are no long term studies for any of the pills that people take for this. I was told it definitely wasn't a cure and I would have to have monthly bloods so they could keep a close eye on me.

I hadn't realised how much the pills had affected me. I have more energy (honestly .... I am like Tigger these days), my hair is thicker and my nails don't break off constantly. My stomach issues - I won't go into the gory details - have subsided. I feel great.

Sadly, my last bloods showed that there was a slight sign of the CML protein in my blood again, they have taken more blood and if it is still there I will have to go back onto my pills. I just have to wait until mid-September to find out. Oh well, it was nice whilst it lasted.

But I digress, as I was saying the first half of this year has been busy. My small business (you can find my shop here if you want to see what I sell) has had to be put on the back burner. Dad's house is nearly 70 miles from my home so there has been a lot of driving up and down the motorway, then taking things to auction, sorting through stuff. And there was a lot of 'stuff'. My mum did not throw anything away. She was of the make do and mend generation, so there was always a use for everything. Those little plastic covers you get when you buy a birthday card, she had a stash of them, she had all of her birthday cards/Christmas cards she had ever received. You get the picture.

The old family pile

So it has taken myself and my brother some time. Eventually, we had to get clearance people in.

Of course it didn't help that I broke my elbow (ice skating for the first time in over 30 years...obvs) in March. I couldn't drive or do very much at all for about a month, which was rubbish.

Finally, after much messing about, and after having a few choice words with the solicitors, the house sale went through.

Then it was the school summer holidays. Where had the rest of the year gone?

So here I am, the school holidays are coming to an end and I am planning what is next for me. 

I will let you know when I know but for now, thanks for visiting 

To learn more about my CML story you can find it here, here, here & here

There is more but I don't want to bore you.


Popular Posts